Monday, March 17, 2014

Let it Go! Elsa Inspired Braid Up-Do.


Let it Go! A quick, sophisticated up-do braid tutorial. Perfect for the littlest girl to the oldest woman. 


Being a mom of three, I don't have time to spend hours on my hair. I love up-dos that take 5 minutes or so, and that is exactly what this is! At least you will look put together, even if your house and children aren't, right? :0)

***I must add a caveat about my hair: I have a lot of fine hair--not thick hair, just a LOT of hair (I have the thinnest of all my 3 sisters and mom!) and it hits just below my bra strap across my back. I have tried some up-dos with success and some with failure because my hair is obviously different from theirs in one way or another...


Okay, onto the details! I like to start with damp hair in order to get a good grip and so that the braid holds together well. Pull all of your hair to one side. I am left-brained, so I always pull mine to my right side. I know Elsa's is the opposite, but she must be a right-brainer--or maybe just the animator is (or is he/she left-brained and mirroring...?) Sorry, tangent queen here! Take a chunk of hair at the top of your head, about at the outside corner of the eye furthest away from the direction you are heading. Start twisting away from your forehead. I don't part it or make it exact, just start twisting and grabbing more hair along the way.

Twist all the way down to your ear and hang onto it tight!



Here's where we start to braid. The remaining hair needs to be divided in half. I was taking these pictures by my self, so it might look crazy and I may or may not have gotten a cramp in my hand trying to hold it all in place. Please, for my sake, if you have two hands, use them both!


Star the braid by crossing your twisted hair over the center one first and then continue to braid as usual, securing the end with a hair tie or elastic. FOE hair ties are my fav :0)


You can loosen the twist on top by gently pulling at it--gives it a less structured look.


Now, you can leave it like this for the "let it go" version, or give it a twist for the up-do.


Start by twisting the braid toward the back of your head, away from your face. Here's where the length and amount of hair play a big part. Your braid might be longer or shorter than mine, but you get the idea. Keep wrapping in a clockwise motion and tuck the tail in wherever it ends. Secure with a billion bobby pins!


Voila! There you have it!
 Here's a view from the other side...
 

Go celebrate the release of Frozen by giving yourself an Elsa-do!

2 comments:

  1. You're so beautiful, Dana. You could be a model. I love your braid, thanks for posting how to do it.

    ReplyDelete